scolarite_04 danse_02 scolarite_05 generique_05

Practical matters

Medical insurance

As soon as students have paid their fees, they must choose and pay for French national insurance (‘sécurité sociale’), which comes in various forms.

Registration for the ‘Sécurité Sociale’

If you have access to the standard form of national insurance called the ‘régime général’ it is mandatory to purchase the special form of national insurance for students called the ‘régime étudiant de sécurité sociale’ in the following cases:

  • students aged from 20 to 28
  • students who will reach the age of 20 during the 2012/2013 academic year (who were born between 30/09/1991 and 29/09/1992)

Students who have reached the age of 28 on or before 30th September cannot benefit from student ‘sécurité sociale’ insurance.
‘Sécurité sociale’ insurance is free for French students aged 16 to 20, who are considered to be automatically insured persons (‘ayant droit autonome’).

French students aged under 16 are covered by their parents’ ‘sécurité sociale’ insurance, and they only need a copy of their parents’ ‘carte vitale’ (computerised ‘sécurité sociale’ personal identity card card).
The student mutual insurance companies (L.M.D.E. and S.M.E.R.R.A.) act as ‘sécurité sociale’ offices, even if you don’t take out the supplementary insurance that they offer.

If you do not have access to the ‘régime général’ you must explain this when you register and provide proof of the other type of ‘sécurité sociale’ that you are affiliated to. This usually only concerns French students.

Civil liability insurance

This mandatory insurance, which is personal to each student, must cover the entire academic year. You should check that you have this document, either with your parents’ insurance company (multi-risk household insurance policy) or with your student mutual insurance company. The mutual insurance companies have information desks at the Lyon CNSMD during the registration period. The document should stipulate that the insurance covers the student ‘when engaged in activities connected with his studies’.

When you register you will have to provide a copy of this document or fill in and sign a declaration that you have this insurance.

Student mutual insurance companies

You can choose between:

the L.M.D.E. – La Mutuelle des Etudiants
Correspondence address and offices: 19 rue de Marseille – 69007 LYON
Tel. +33 (0)969 369 601 (local rates apply)
Website (in French)

and the S.M.E.R.R.A -  Société Mutualiste des Etudiants de la Région Rhône-Alpes
Correspondence address: 43, rue Jaboulay – 69349 LYON CEDEX 07
Offices: 38, rue Chevreul – 69007 Lyon
Tel. +33 (0)4 72 76 70 76
Website (in French)

Student services

Don’t hesitate to contact the C.R.O.U.S. (Centre Régional des Œuvres Universitaires et Scolaires), and to ask about all the services they propose to you as a student.

CROUS – 59 rue de la Madeleine – 69365 Lyon cedex 07 (1st floor)
Tel. +33 (0)4 72 80 13 25

Mutual help and support organisations

Cap’Ecoute: tel. 0 800 33 34 35 (free number)
Pôle Jeune Adultes: tel. +33 (0)4 72 65 75 34

Further information